As much as I love this genre, there are recurrent themes that seem to pop up time and time again. Being the super organized person that I am (that’s a lie), I have decided to craft a neat list, detailing each specific trope that annoys me. What tropes annoy you?
1. Guys with the sex drive of a sex robot with no off switch. I think of their bed buddies and I feel physically pained by the shit that they have to put up with. After sex, it’s always nice to have a bit of ‘down time’, time to snuggle and relax and all that cute shiz (I think anyway) as opposed to having some guy with a raging erection looming over you three seconds later wanting to go again and again and again and again…c’mon, fellas. Give them a break!
2. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper old immortal guys hooking up with comparatively young women. This is a recurrent theme in most paranormal romance fiction that I’ve read thus far and I find it strange to think of these guys being ancient before their love interest’s grandparents were even conceived.
3. The abuse of paranormal powers when faced with a mortal lover who doesn’t want to comply with their wishes *cough* Lucan Thorne *cough*
4. Perfect, mind blowing sex that always, always culminates in earth-shattering, simultaneous orgasms. Although, maybe this only annoys me because it reminds me of all the bad sex I’ve ever had.
5. Possessive, overbearing males. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve read the lines “You are mine” or “You belong to me”. Being in a relationship is a privilege, not a right. Remember that, ladies and gents!